“Self-love is the source of all our other loves.” – Pierre Corneille
“Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.” – Tyra Banks
You can only love another person fully if you have also learned to love yourself. “Self-love” can sometimes be hard to achieve especially with all the insecurities we feel. But what does “loving yourself” really mean? What does it look like? or How to do it?
The root of radical self-love is listening to your instinct and learning to listen to what your body is telling you it needs.
So, here are 40 ways to love yourself:
1. Accept the fact that you cannot please everyone. There will always be people who will judge you even if they don’t know what you’ve been through.
2. Flaunt your flaws! Nobody in this world is perfect, love your imperfections. We are all fearfully and wonderfully made by God.
3. Have time for your friends and family. Remember, relationships may come and go. But your family and friends are constant. They will always be there for you.
4. Stop comparing your own success to other people’s success. We have our own path in life to take. As what our Lead Pastor said, “Success is being where you’re supposed to be, doing exactly what you’re supposed to do.”
5. Exercise regularly! This can help you release stress and will even help you to be healthy.
6. Expand your interests. Learn a new language or other things you haven’t done before.
7. Take long walks or ride a bike. Explore the place you live in, sometimes we get too busy with work we tend to neglect the beauty of our environment.
8. Have yourself an affirming mantra, and repeat it daily. (for example: “I am loved.”)
9. Go to a museum, appreciate art.
10. Discover and listen to new music, try other genres that you haven’t listened before. Who knows, you might find your new favorite song.
11. Pamper yourself. Get a massage, have your hair and nails done. You deserve it.
12. Go out and chill somewhere where you can meet new people and make friends.
13. Buy the books you have been wanting to read for a very long time.
14. Go to the beach! The calming waves of the ocean and breeze will make you feel relaxed.
15. Take pictures! Capture those precious moments and don’t forget to print them.
16. Save money and travel to different places.
17. Smile often. You will feel happy if you smile more. It will make other people happy too.
18. Don’t allow toxic people in your life. They will only make you feel discouraged all the time.
19. Forgive yourself, you are not perfect. We all make mistakes.
20. Don’t be too hard on yourself. It’s okay to do your best but don’t put too much pressure on what you are doing, it will only make you feel stressed out.
21. Organize your stuff! A clean space or bedroom will make you feel relaxed and less cranky.
22. Volunteer on a project from an organization, not only will you feel happy but you will also learn that helping those who are in need is a great deed.
23. Spend time alone. Watch a movie or eat at a restaurant. There’s nothing wrong with being alone in those places. Be your own reliable companion.
24. Try to be less judgmental. Remember, all of us have different struggles in life, we need to be sensitive to the feelings of others.
25. Always eat good food.
26. Binge-watch that TV or Movie Series you’ve been wanting to see.
27. Attend workshops that will improve your skills.
28. Go hiking with yourself or with your friends. It can be an amazing feeling when you reach the top of it.
29. Buy yourself presents, like a purse or anything you’ve been wanting to have for a long time.
30. Take care of your body, take vitamins to protect yourself from sickness.
31. Learn to play an instrument, a ukulele or a guitar that will help you chill when you’re bored.
32. Appreciate the things around you. Be grateful that your friends and family are there. Tell them that you love and care for them also.
33. Spend less time on your phone.
34. Let go of the past, and be more optimistic about your future.
35. Be kind to others but not to the point that they will take advantage of you.
36. Guard your heart, always.
37. Appreciate the breathtaking sunsets, realize that endings can be beautiful too.
38. Travel outside of your comfort zone, experience a new culture.
39. Be of service to others and don’t expect anything in return.
40. Always remember that you are worth it.
Loving yourself is a way for you to improve and become the best version of yourself. It is not a one-time event, it is an ongoing process. It begins with you, surrounding yourself with your own appreciation and affection. And when the right time comes, you will find the right person who deserves you. For now, seize the day and enjoy your life.