People don’t stop to help random strangers to push cars as much as they used to. We are either too busy to stop, we don’t even notice that a fellow human being needs help because we are driving distracted, we think “I’m sure they already called someone to help,” or we are too scared to stop. What?? Yes, we think that we may be injured if we stop by a fellow driver who isn’t paying attention, or maybe this person’s car really didn’t break down and it’s all a scam to rob someone. Oh, how society has changed.
But, I would really like to think and somewhere deep down, everyone does want to help others. Everyone does have that desire to make someone’s day, to have a positive impact on the community, to pass on kindness so that it may multiply. Because, if you are honest with yourself, doesn’t help someone else, in any way, make you feel better about yourself too? I know it does for me.
So, in hopes of sharing a bit of kindness in this crazy world in which we live, I wanted to share 10 EASY ways to help others. Give one…or two…or all ten…a try today!
*Note, this is a VERY small list, as there are hundreds of thousands of ways to be kind to others and help others, feel free to share your ways and thoughts in the comments!
- Smile – Haven’t you heard the saying that it takes more muscles to frown than smile. Smile folks! It does the body good.
- Donate – Canned goods at a local food bank (you don’t have to wait to Thanksgiving to do this, they accept donations all year long!), old clothes, clothes and toys that the kids have grown out of, the list goes on and on.
- Volunteer – Need some ideas on how to get started? Check out this list.
- Help someone in need – Pull over and help that car that is stalled in the road, help the woman at the grocery store out to her car, offer to cut the neighbor’s grass when they are out of town…heck, just do it!
- Listen – stop for a moment and lend an ear to someone who needs you.
- Share your strengths – Like to cook but have a friend that hates it? Help them get started! Love to exercise and have a friend that doesn’t know where to start? Help ’em!
- Give a compliment – Tell someone you like their shoes, hair, the way they did a great job on a presentation at work, etc.
- Make a care package or just send a letter – Know someone that is way at school, maybe someone that is sick, or someone that is just in need of a pick-me-up? Send a smile via snail-mail. Admit it, it’s still fun to get something in the mail that isn’t a bill.
- Love – Show your love and appreciation to those around you. They say happiness is contagious, let’s give it a try!
- Shop online – Uh? Yes, this may be one of the easiest ways to help others. Simply by doing what you normally do, shop online, when you shop through Giving Assistant, they actually make a small donation to Feeding America to give one meal every time cashback is earned. You are given the option to automatically donate any % of your earned cashback to any charity of your choice.
So, can you do it? Can you take one simple step to help someone else today? I hope you can. I hope we all can!